Friday, May 8, 2009

My First Post: I Am Too Lazy For Google

So, if you didn't get it by now, I created this site because I'm too lazy for Google. I have questions... some might argue I do ask the right questions... I just don't often bother looking up the answer unless I get inspired to be all smart-like.

Questions will possibly be numbered, if I remember to do that, and meanwhile, I'll try to categorize them by topic, because even if I'm not terribly hungry for knowledge, I like to organize the little knowledge that I do have.

Question #1:

How did "Google" get its name?

1 comment:

  1. Blame spell-check. Ten years ago this September, so the story goes, some Stanford grad students were helping Larry Page choose a name for his search engine. "Googolplex," said Sean ­Anderson. (They'd already sensed how big this could ­become.) "Googol," Page ­replied. ­Anderson, checking to see if the name was taken, typed ­g-o-o-g-l-e into his browser and made the most famous spelling mistake since p-o-t-a-t-o-e. Page registered the name within hours, and today, Google isn't a typo, it's a verb, one with a market cap of about $160 billion. Here, then, is a guide to what happens during a typical Google search-now, of course, with automatic spell-check.

    Or...

    Google derived its name from the word "googol", a term coined by then nine-year-old Milton Sirotta, nephew of the American mathematician Edward Kasner. The story goes, Kasner would have asked his nephew to invent a name for a very large number - ten to the power of one hundred, and Milton called it a googol.

    ReplyDelete